Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Happy Effect

I started taking two online classes a little while ago: Fashion Illustration, and Introduction to the Fashion Business. Both are extremely informative, both will be very useful in the long run, and both combined give me a work load that induces lots and lots of stress.

Since I started, I've begun to notice a pattern. Every time I think about what I'm doing and what I have to do, the stress sets in. As some of you may know (but probably not), I have little-to-no capacity for stress and will shift into panic mode. Panic mode is very, very bad. I will sit in front of my sketchpad/laptop and stare while my thoughts go from "Holy crap" to "I can't do this" to "I don't want to do this anymore" and pretty soon I'm considering dropping out.

Well, I haven't dropped out (and I do not plan to), so obviously I have stumbled upon some way to break through Panic Mode. What breaks Panic Mode? The Happy. The feeling of totally blissful ignorance and unawareness of anything and everything around me. Go figure that total ignorance of everything around me makes me focus like no attention medication I have ever taken (and I've taken a lot). While under the influence of The Happy, I work like you have never seen. I've done 20 sketches in an hour, and my teacher said they were better than my previous work. I can finish an essay in one sitting, with that sitting being under four hours. That second one alone is a miracle, especially considering how many I have to write.

So the question becomes, how do I achieve The Happy on a regular and controllable basis? So far, listening to dance music and eating cake have proved effective. So has singing, despite my complete and utter lack of skills in that department. There is, however, only so much dance music in the world, and I cannot eat cake daily for the rest of my education (although that would be pretty nice and I have considered it). I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Edit: Dress #41 on this slideshow also induces The Happy. It's so preetty!

No comments: